Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Flash Fiction 2

I have truly loved the Flash Fiction stories; the stories are quick, meaningful and enjoyable. Even if there is one you don't like you haven't invested a lot of time reading it only to be disappointed. I have two stories of this group that I absolutely loved.

The first story "Snow" by Julia Alvarez, the story done first person was the tale of a little girl new to the country. She told of a favorite teacher who nurtured her first year of school, and her very first experience with snow. I loved this story because it brought me back to when I was young and my favorite teacher. I would be surprised if not all readers get that nostalgic moment when reading this story.

My favorite teacher was my fourth grade teacher, she encouraged the love of a good book. I remember to this day her reading C.S. Lewis's "A Loin, a Witch, and a Wardrobe", when she read the book I had this mental picture of the story as she read the story. I was so excited three years ago when this story was made into a movie, I was in love because the story was exactly how I had imagined it so many years ago. Somewhere in my library of books I have this book and I have both movies. My favorite story of all time.

The second story that I fell in love with was "Corners" by Sheila Barry, written in third person. I loved this story because of the emotion I felt when I read this story. As the reader I felt Jessie's pain, and that moment when you feel you can't breath because the pain is so intense. Then the moment they share that makes them laugh and helps the pain subsided.

I have a brother and sister that I share this bond with, there have been many times in each of our lives that our pain has been so intense that we have had that feeling that we can't breathe. One of us will get the other two going with a memory or a laugh, my grandmother had one of those snorting laughs that my brother could imitate perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment