Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"Capitan's Club" and "Sex Scenes from a Chain Bookstore" by Aryn Kyle

We review the "Sex Scenes from a Chain Bookstore" in class as group exercise, and the remaining story "Captain's Club" we needed to blog about the questions we had answered earlier in class for the "Sex Scenes...".

I enjoyed the "Captain's Club", I could understand as a mother where both Tommy and CJ were coming from in their relationships with their fathers. Both of my children have strained relationships with their fathers, because both act in similar ways to the fathers in this story. I will explore this further in my final essay, so on to the question.

What was the author saying about life and living through this story? I think he was addressing the difficulty of relationships, and often how the people we love the most hurt us the most without given it much thought. For Tommy though he had his mother and sisters, and it seemed liked they had a deep bond. But for CJ I think even his relationship with his mother was tough.

What is the most important passage?Why? I think the most important passage in the story was on page 108 "And all at once, Tommy knew exactly what the world required of him, what his purpose was, what he was supposed to do...". For me it seemed that Tommy understood his place in his relationship with his mother, sisters, CJ and even Tree, what he could do to make a difference. Life is about simple moments in time with no one moment defining us, it is the accumulation of all those moments that make us the person we are. We learn from our hurts, and what we are willing to let hurt us. My son would tell that he makes a conscious choice not to be the same person his father is, and my daughter would tell that she has learned that her father is hardwired to disappoint and that she should not take it personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment