Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"Signifying Nothing" and "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men"

In "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men", all I could think while reading this story is what is wrong with this author. I often had a hard time following the story to the point that I lost interest, like a book that has been so badly written that you decide not to commit anymore of your precious time to reading it. The only real message I gathered from the story was a very unflattering portrait of men.


The second story "Signifying Nothing" was just bizarre, but I think I understood the point he was expressing. The dynamics of family is evident in this piece, while the content of why he was mad was just plain weird I understood that feeling of anger and why he cut himself off from his parents. I wondered while reading this story if the moment he suddenly recalled did not happen just as he pictured it which brought about the response from his father. Have you ever had a dejavu moment that seems so real but it wasn't and you have to convince yourself that it didn't really happen? I have had that feeling before, that intense feeling that I had seen an old friend again and we had resolved our differences, only to push further back in the recesses of my mind to remember we had not spoken to each since our disagreement.


I think in this story the ending was the most powerful, the author showed the power of a family to forgive and move on. The author shows that awkward moment and then someone makes a joke and everyone laughs and life moves on. As a member of a family with similar dynamics and being very close to each other there are times where we hurt the other one's feelings and the silent treatment is given for awhile. But with that same little awkwardness in our story and a silly or well placed comment we forgive and move on.


My letter from in class assignment


Dear


I wondered about your story, did you really remember the event or is there a possibility that you had a dejavu moment? Where it seems so real to you that it becomes real, I have had those moments myself. If you really thought it was true why didn't you bring it up in a joking manner first to test the waters to see how your father would react. Similar to your behavior in the resturant with the chicken, you could have said "Dad, I had this really bizarre recollection of this event happening when I was a eight...". Instead you bring it up in a confrontational manner and then seem surprised that your father looked at you like had taken leave of your senses. Maybe he didn't remember or maybe it never happened, some people sleep walk and do the most bizarre things.


What really bothered me was the childish manner in which you handle yourself for the next year. It really blows my mind that you choose not to talk to your father or your innocent mother (as she doesn't even know what happened) for a year. You cut them out of your life for an entire year for a brief memory that pops into your head that may or not not be true.


I think you owe your family an apology for your behavior but if you are unable to apologize because you truly believe the incident happened you should realize the importance of your family's love for you. You make sure you tell them how much you love and care about them. The simple fact is they were so happy to see you that they don't bring up the fact you cut them out of your life they just pull you back into their embrace without a word. This shows how important family is and the degree of the love your family has for you.


Sincerely,


Monica Schreiber

No comments:

Post a Comment